The Firm was founded in 1948 in Karachi by two British Barristers, Charles Surridge and Peter Beecheno. Both the founding partners had a family history of legal practice in Rangoon (Burma) going back to the middle of the 19th century. Over the years the firm expanded and inducted several Pakistani partners and opened branch office in Lahore and Chittagong in the then East Pakistan.
The last of the British Senior Partner was Mr. John Frederick Campbell Gallaher, CBE, DSO, DFC and BAR, war-time path finder and later Solicitor. Through his efforts and skill as a solicitor, the oldest law firm in the country contributed to the industrial development of Pakistan, which contribution is well recognized by local and foreign investors who have benefited from the Firm's assistance.